Ticlopidine is used to reduce the risk of stroke in people who have had a stroke or have had warning signs of a stroke and who cannot be treated with aspirin. Ticlopidine is also used along with aspirin to prevent blood clots from forming in coronary stents (metal tubes surgically placed in clogged blood vessels to improve blood flow). It works by preventing platelets (a type of blood cell) from collecting and forming clots.
Ticlopidine comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken twice a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take ticlopidine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Continue to take ticlopidine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking ticlopidine without talking to your doctor.
Ticlopidine also is used before open heart surgery and in the treatment of sickle cell disease, certain types of kidney disease (primary glomerulonephritis), and blocked arteries in the legs. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Before taking ticlopidine,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to ticlopidine,any other medications, or any of the ingredients in ticlopidine tablets.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: antacids, anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, cimetidine (Tagamet), clopidogrel (Plavix), digoxin (Lanoxin), and theophylline (Theo-Dur). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- if you also take antacids (Maalox, Mylanta) take them 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking ticlopidine.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver disease, bleeding disorders, bleeding ulcers, low blood cell counts (neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia, TTP), kidney disease, high blood cholesterol, or high blood fats (triglycerides).
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking ticlopidine, call your doctor.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking ticlopidine. Your doctor may tell you to stop taking ticlopidine 10 to 14 days before your procedure. Follow these directions.
talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking ticlopidine if you are 65 years of age or older. Older adults should not usually take ticlopidine because it is not as safe or effective as other medications that can be used to treat the same condition.
Food limitations and special diet when taking Ticlopidine
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your usual diet.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Possible side effects
Ticlopidine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- stomach pain
- loss of appetite
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, or those listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, call your doctor immediately:
- fever, sore throat, or other signs of infection
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- light-colored stools
- skin rash
Ticlopidine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while you are taking this medication.
Storage and disposal of Ticlopidine
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services.
Other important information
Ticlopidine prevents blood from clotting so it may take longer than usual for you to stop bleeding if you are cut or injured. Avoid activities that have a high risk of causing injury. Call your doctor if bleeding is unusual.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
We provide only general information about Ticlid which does not cover all possible drug integrations, directions or precautions. Information at our website cannot be used for self-treatment and self-diagnosis. Any specific instructions for a particular patient should be agreed with his health care adviser or doctor in charge of the case. We disclaim reliability of this information and mistakes it could contain. We are not responsible for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage as a result of any use of the information on this site and also for consequences of self-treatment.
Important Information about Purchasing TiclidIn some countries valid doctor's prescription is required to purchase Ticlid. Our online pharmacy escrow service allows You to buy Ticlid without a prescription as its not required in the country where this medicine is purchased and shipped from (India). We expect that You are familiar with the Ticlid medication You want to buy online. You must know needed dosage that works for You, how to take this drug and all possible side effects.
We guarantee quality of Ticlid - ticlopidine medication that is sold through our site. Its medical effect will be the same as of brand name Ticlid®.