Cyproheptadine relieves red, irritated, itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; and runny nose caused by allergies, irritants in the air, and hay fever. It may also be used to relieve the itching of allergic skin conditions, and to treat hives, including hives caused by exposure to cold temperatures and by rubbing the skin. Cyproheptadine is also sometimes used to treat allergic reactions in people who have received blood products as part of medical treatment and to treat life-threatening allergic reactions after the symptoms have been brought under control with other medications. Cyproheptadine will help relieve symptoms but will not treat the cause of symptoms or speed recovery. Cyproheptadine is in a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a substance in the body that causes allergic symptoms.
Cyproheptadine comes as a tablet and a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It is usually taken two or three times a day. Take cyproheptadine at around the same time(s) every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take cyproheptadine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
If you are using the solution, do not use a household spoon to measure your dose. Use the measuring cup or spoon that came with the medication or use a spoon that is made especially for measuring medication.
Cyproheptadine also is used for the treatment of Cushing's Syndrome (an abnormal condition that is caused by excess hormones [corticosteroids]) and to treat certain types of headache such as migraine.Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Before taking cyproheptadine,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to cyproheptadine, other antihistamines, or any other medications.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: other medications for allergies or colds; medications for anxiety, depression, or seizures; muscle relaxants; narcotic medications for pain; sedatives; sleeping pills; and tranquilizers. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had asthma, glaucoma (a condition in which increased pressure in the eye can lead to gradual loss of vision), ulcers, difficulty urinating (due to an enlarged prostate gland), heart disease, high blood pressure, seizures, or an overactive thyroid gland.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking cyproheptadine, call your doctor.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking cyproheptadine.
- you should know that this medication may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- talk to your doctor about the safe use of alcohol while you are taking this medication. Alcohol can make the side effects of cyproheptadine worse.
talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking cyproheptadine if you are 65 years of age or older. Older adults should not usually take cyproheptadine because it is not as safe or effective as other medications that can be used to treat the same condition.
Food limitations and special diet when taking Cyproheptadine
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Possible side effects
Cyproheptadine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- dry mouth, nose, and throat
- chest congestion
- excitement (especially in children)
- muscle weakness
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- difficulty urinating
- vision problems
Cyproheptadine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while you are taking this medication.
Storage and disposal of Cyproheptadine
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services.
Other important information
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
We provide only general information about Periactin which does not cover all possible drug integrations, directions or precautions. Information at our website cannot be used for self-treatment and self-diagnosis. Any specific instructions for a particular patient should be agreed with his health care adviser or doctor in charge of the case. We disclaim reliability of this information and mistakes it could contain. We are not responsible for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage as a result of any use of the information on this site and also for consequences of self-treatment.
Important Information about Purchasing PeriactinIn some countries valid doctor's prescription is required to purchase Periactin. Our online pharmacy escrow service allows You to buy Periactin without a prescription as its not required in the country where this medicine is purchased and shipped from (India). We expect that You are familiar with the Periactin medication You want to buy online. You must know needed dosage that works for You, how to take this drug and all possible side effects.
We guarantee quality of Periactin - cyproheptadine medication that is sold through our site. Its medical effect will be the same as of brand name Periactin®.